-> Updated June 22, 2018 – Three 16GB/FHD configs added to the line up in the US
-> Updated Jan 26, 2018 – Added list of countries that offer the XPS 13 developer edition offline.
Today I am excited to announce the availability of the 7th generation of the Ubuntu-based XPS 13 developer edition. Project Sputnik’s latest and greatest system is now simultaneously available in Europe, Canada and the United States.
The new XPS 13 developer edition (9370) features the 8th Generation Intel Quad Core, a brand new chassis, an improved display and smaller borders.
The 9370 is even thinner, lighter and smaller than its already svelte predecessor, the 9360. (Note, the 9370 does not replace the 9360, as the two will coexist.) If you want more detailed specs, please scroll down dear reader. Before we get to the product details however, here’s a quick Project Sputnik backgrounder.
Project Sputnik, a recap
It all started back in 2012 with the wacky idea of creating a high-end Linux laptop targeted at developers. An internal innovation fund gave the scrappy project team a little bit of money and six months to see if this idea would fly.
From day one, project Sputnik publically solicited input from the developer community. It was this input and the tremendous community support that pushed the effort from project to a product.
The initial XPS 13 developer edition, available only as one configuration, debuted on November 29, 2012. Fast forward five years and not only are we announcing the 7th generation of that initial product but the project itself has now expanded to become a full line of developer-targeted systems.
US and Canadian configurations
In North America, as mentioned above, the new XPS 13 developer edition is available in both the US and Canada. The following are the available configurations in the two countries (Note: the links below point to the US configurations).
CPU | Memory | Storage | Display
- i7 | 16GB |512GB| UHD touch (3840 x 2160) – available with 1TB
- i7 | 8GB |256GB | FHD non-touch (1920 x 1080)
- i5 | 8GB |256GB | UHD touch (3840 x 2160) – available with i7
- i5 | 8GB |128GB | FHD non-touch (1920 x 1080) – available with 256GB
- i5 | 4GB |128GB| FHD non-touch (1920 x 1080)
Available as of April 3, 2018
- i5 | 16GB |256GB| FHD non-touch (1920 x 1080)
- i7 | 16GB |256GB| FHD non-touch (1920 x 1080)
- i7 | 16GB |512GB| FHD non-touch (1920 x 1080)
The new XPS 13 developer edition is available online in Europe in the following countries:
Online: UK, Ireland, Germany, Austria, France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland (French and German), Belgium, Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Denmark.
Offline: Czech Republic, Denmark, Emerging countries , Finland, Greece , Luxembourg, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Slovakia, Turkey, South Africa.
The following configurations are available both online and offline.
CPU | Memory | Storage | Display
- i7 | 16GB | 1TB | UHD touch (3840 x 2160)
- i7 | 16GB | 512GB | UHD touch (3840 x 2160)
- i7 | 16GB | 512GB | FHD non-touch (1920 x 1080)
- i7 | 8GB | 256GB | FHD non-touch (1920 x 1080)
Here’s a bit more detail behind the system specs. These options are available as noted above.
- 8th Generation Intel® Quad Core™, i5 (US and Canada only) and i7 versions
- Memory options: 4GB, 8GB or 16GB Dual Channel SDRAM
- Storage options: 128GB, 256GB, 512GB or 1TB
- 2x Thunderbolt™ 3
- Noble lock slot
- Headset jack
- DC-In & DisplayPort 1x USB-C 3.1
- MicroSD card reader
- Display options
- UltraSharp 4K Ultra HD (3840×2160) InfinityEdge touch display
- FHD (1920 x 1080) InfinityEdge display
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS preloaded
- 1 year ProSupport
Who’d a thunk it
I gotta admit that five years ago the team and I would never have thought that we would be posting a blog announcing the 7th generation of the XPS 13 developer edition. The thought of even a third generation would have bogled our minds.
Five years ago, thanks to the support of the community, Project Sputnik reached escape velocity. This support, input and direction has not only continued but has grown over the last five years, enabling the Sputnik team to stop focusing on survival and instead focus on supporting a broader range of developer needs.
As we go forward, please keep driving us by sharing your input and experiences, be they be good, bad or ugly. 🙂
- 2018 starts with the best Linux laptop by Dell – Swap and I discuss the new system – VIDEO
- Meet the New XPS 13: Stylish, Powerful and Better by Every Measure – Direct2Dell
- Line up — New XPS 13 developer edition — (9370)
- Line up — XPS 13 developer edition — (9360)
- Project Sputnik Turns Five! – November 29, 2017
- 2012 — year one
Pau for now…