XPS 13 Developer Edition — the 7th gen is here!

Today I am excited to announce the availability of the 7th generation of the Ubuntu-based XPS 13 developer edition.  Project Sputnik’s latest and greatest system is now simultaneously available in Europe, Canada and the United States.

The new XPS 13 developer edition (9370) features the 8th Generation Intel Quad Core, a brand new chassis, an improved display and smaller borders.

The 9370 is even thinner, lighter and smaller than its already svelte predecessor, the 9360. (Note, the 9370 does not replace the 9360, as the two will coexist.)  If you want more detailed specs, please scroll down dear reader. Before we get to the product details however, here’s a quick Project Sputnik backgrounder.

Project Sputnik, a recap

It all started back in 2012 with the wacky idea of creating a high-end Linux laptop targeted at developers.   An internal innovation fund gave the scrappy project team a little bit of money and six months to see if this idea would fly.

From day one, project Sputnik publically solicited input from the developer community.  It was this input and the tremendous community support that pushed the effort from project to a product.

The initial XPS 13 developer edition, available only as one configuration, debuted on November 29, 2012.  Fast forward five years and not only are we announcing the 7th generation of that initial product but the project itself has now expanded to become a full line of developer-targeted systems.

US and Canadian configurations

In North America, as mentioned above, the new XPS 13 developer edition is available in both the US and Canada.  The following are the available configurations in the two countries (Note: the links below point to the US configurations).

CPU | Memory | Storage | Display

European configurations

As of today, the new XPS 13 developer edition is available online in Europe in the following countries:

UK, Ireland, Germany, Austria, France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland (French and German), Belgium, Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Denmark.

Beyond the thirteen countries above, there is a much longer list of countries where the 9370 is available offline.  (I’ll be posting this list in the next few days.)

The following configurations are available both online and offline.

CPU | Memory | Storage | Display

• i7 | 16GB |      1TB | UHD touch (3840 x 2160)
  • i7 | 16GB | 512GB | UHD touch (3840 x 2160)
  • i7 | 16GB | 512GB | FHD non-touch (1920 x 1080)
  • i7 |  8GB | 256GB | FHD non-touch (1920 x 1080)

9370 Specifications

Here’s a bit more detail behind the system specs.  These options are available as noted above.

• 8th Generation Intel® Quad Core™, i5 (US and Canada only) and i7 versions
  • Display options
    • UltraSharp 4K Ultra HD (3840×2160) InfinityEdge touch display
    • FHD (1920 x 1080) InfinityEdge display
  • Ubuntu 16.04 LTS preloaded
  • 1 year ProSupport

Who’d a thunk it

I gotta admit that five years ago the team and I would never have thought that we would be posting a blog announcing the 7th generation of the XPS 13 developer edition.  The thought of even a third generation would have bogled our minds.

Five years ago, thanks to the support of the community, Project Sputnik reached escape velocity.  This support, input and direction has not only continued but has grown over the last five years, enabling the Sputnik team to stop focusing on survival and instead focus on supporting a broader range of developer needs.

As we go forward, please keep driving us by sharing your input and experiences, be they be good, bad or ugly. 🙂

Thanks!

Barton

Extra-credit reading

• 2018 starts with the best Linux laptop by Dell – Swap and I discuss the new system – VIDEO
  • Meet the New XPS 13: Stylish, Powerful and Better by Every Measure – Direct2Dell
  • Line up — New XPS 13 developer edition —  (9370)
  • Line up — XPS 13 developer edition — (9360)
  • Project Sputnik Turns Five! – November 29, 2017
  • 2012 — year one

Pau for now…

Advertisements

70 Responses to XPS 13 Developer Edition — the 7th gen is here!

1. anildigital says:

Any chance we see India for new XPS 13 developer edition to be available there soon? Thanks.

2. Hi I’m seriously considering jumping ship from Macbook Pro to Dell XPS Dev, Edition.

I’ve worked for some years in US and prefer that keyboard layout, but I’m living in Sweden, and it seems difficult to order an XPS with a US keyboard at dell.se (which Apple always have offered on their Macs on their Swedish website).

Would it be possible to order it through dell.com instead?

Liked by 3 people

• Loris Zinsou says:

You need to give a phone call to Dell sales department in your current country, and ask them for the exact keyboard layout you want.
      I’m French and recently bought a Dell Inpiron 5000 2-in-1 with an AZERTY (silly accented letters… 😉 ) keyboard from Dell Poland when I was living there.

3. Yury says:

I would love this config in US
    i7 | 16GB | 512GB | FHD non-touch (1920 x 1080)

Liked by 2 people

• Brad Ackerman says:

Same, and by “love” I mean “I won’t buy a pro-glare display, full stop.” Dell still doesn’t want to take my money, so I had to go elsewhere; there’s no shortage of vendors who are willing to sell what I’m willing to buy.

• Hi Brad, the displays that come with the new XPS 13 dev edition are anti reflective. Here’s the official messaging around it:

High brightness for viewing in bright light, like outdoors. Provides more clarity. Brighter than a typical panel (at 200-nit). Plus, with anti-reflective coating, get the beautiful gloss of the touchscreen without the glare; an ideal mobile experience when you’re outdoors or working at outside at Starbucks at with the 9am sun.
        Spec: 400-nit brightness + 0.65% anti-reflective

HTH

• Hi Yury, I appreciate the feedback and will pass it along to the team. During the product lifecycle often times we will evaluate the configs we are offering and, based on customer interest, add or drop some.

4. Socordia says:

Congratulations! Project Sputnik is awesme, and I’ve been following the project since the beginning. In fact, I’d order one right now without hesitation if there was an option beyond 16 GB of RAM. But with 16 GB… not. 😥

• Hi Socordia, thanks for the support! If you want 32GB you may want to check out the 20 Precision 55http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/workstations-isv-certified-dell/precision-5520/spd/precision-15-5520-laptop if you want super beefy, check out either the Precision 7520 or 7720

• M.A. says:

First, fantastic work on Project Sputnik–it’s such a boon for the developer community. And the XPS 13 is gorgeous, but I’m another dev looking for more memory. Do you know if/when the 5520 is going to get an 8th gen processor?

• Thanks! I appreciate the support. wrt to 5520 + 8th gen, my lips are sealed 🙂

5. Please have the XPS 15 available in India. I’m using XPS 13 9350 and plan to replace it by the latest XPS 15 at the end of this year!

6. Joe says:

Are these compatible with the Dell docking stations? Always been interested in Linux, but need as many monitors as possible.

Thanks for any info.

7. paul says:

Hi, 1) I notice there are no standard USB ports (usb2/usb3). I guess there must be dongles available, but bah! It makes life harder, especially as a developer who uses USB peripherals. I don’t know if the old version had them but if they did, removing them is a big minus.

2) I don’t want the power hungry ultra res touch screen but there doesn’t appear to be a way to get 16GB memory without it. Is it a conventional sodimm module that I can swap out myself if I buy an 8GB FHD version?

3) It would be great if you could improve the keyboard feel. That’s one thing Lenovo has been mostly ok about (even though they messed up the layout).

I’ll be in the market for a new laptop soon and the XPS13 developer edition will definitely be a contender! But Thinkpad X series is probably still the favourite.

8. Baa Asf says:

Intel ahahah, good timing eh.

9. […] XPS 13 developer edition 7th generation available 135 by warp | 202 comments on Hacker News. […]

10. Alex says:

Does it have Bluetooth?

11. David R. says:

I have a XPS 13 9350. Currently it’s running Ubuntu 16.04, and the battery life is abysmal. Is there anything from Sputnik I could apply that would help with that?

• ryanplusplus says:

Try installing tlp with “sudo apt install tlp”. You can find details about TLP here (don’t worry, it will work great without having to fiddle with options):

I run TLP on my 9343 (the generation before yours) and consistently get 8+ hours when developing even though it is 3 years old.

• David R. says:

I’ve already tried TLP. As well as powertop. If I remember correctly, I spent a day or two googling and trying different things to see if it increased my battery life. 😦

• David R. says:

Ah, by try, I mean TLP is running right now.

— TLP 0.8 ——————————————–

+++ System Info
        System = Dell Inc. XPS 13 9350
        BIOS = 1.2.3
        Release = Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
        Kernel = 4.11.0-14-generic #20~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Aug 9 09:06:22 UTC 2017 x86_64
        /proc/cmdline = BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-4.11.0-14-generic root=/dev/mapper/Reach–vg-root ro
        Init system = systemd

+++ System Status
        TLP power save = enabled
        power source = AC

When I pull my plug, the battery indicator says I have 1.5 hours of life left…

• David, have you reached out to Dell support re this issue?

• David R. says:

I hadn’t thought to reach out to Dell support since it was originally a Windows 10 laptop that I wiped and installed Ubuntu on. Would they still help in that case?

12. James Mayes says:

Hi Barton,

I very much appreciate what you are spearheading and I wish you luck.

I really wanted to believe that I could go all in on Linux on the desktop. I’ve been a Linux user since the mid 90’s starting with the SLS distros.

My brand new $2k xps de 9360 with QHD+ display has been a huge disappointment. I’ve had to keep my 5 year old MacBook Pro around and it outperforms it almost every way. Every way that matters for me with a portable developer machine. The battery life is terrible on the 9360, the touchpad drivers for Ubuntu (libinput, even with all of the recommended tweaks) still leave a stuttering user experience. It’s slightly better when dual-booting Windows 10. Is Synaptics the only game in town for touchpads?

I regret having spent the money and will be giving it to my son. It’s back to Macs for me at this price range. It makes me sad because I do love Linux.

James
    Austin, TX

• Hi James, I apologize for your experience. Wrt the touchpad it sounds like it may be faulty and needs to be replaced. The easiest way to get hooked up with support is via Twitter @DellCaresPro. In your tweet ask for ^JKC (JKC is Justin who provides front line support for the Sputnik team). He is aware that you will be reaching out.

thanks!

13. Mike c says:

Do you mean 8th gen? You’re article titles in my feed are showing 7th gen.

14. Does it still have Windows logo on super key?

15. Luke says:

Do we know how the battery life is compared to the Win 10 version?

16. moeffju says:

I’m currently in the market for a laptop with MacBook-Pro-comparable performance, but running Linux. The XPS 13 series was recommended multiple times, but I just cannot get the configuration I want – 2560×1600 or better display, at least 16 GB RAM, and ideally an international or US keyboard layout – on the German DELL site (plus it seems significantly more expensive there, and I can’t find anything labelled “developer edition”).

Unfortunately it’s not the first time I failed to navigate the DELL stores. Once I had to purchase 30+ devices, so I could offload this to business sales, but as a consumer, I don’t see any option to get what I want. Can you maybe help with that? Is there some workaround?

• ryanplusplus says:

I’m not sure about availability in Germany, but the better analogue to the MacBook Pro is the Precision m5520 which is available with Linux as a build-to-order option and is (unofficially?) part of the Sputnik family. It is a 15 inch laptop with up to a 4K display and 32 GB of RAM. I upgrade from a MacBook Pro to the m5520 at work and couldn’t be happier.

• Hi moeffju, Im sorry its taken me so long to reply. Have you been able to locate the XPS 13 developer edition on the German site? Also, as ryanplusplus suggested, depending on your needs, the Ubuntu-based Precision 5520 might be a better fit. The 5520 should definitely be available on the German site. thanks

17. Josh says:

Enjoy your coil whine and the lack of solutions from dell customer $upport.

Liked by 1 person

18. ardevd says:

Is the developer edition available with the fingerprint reader?

• davidlt says:

Based on what I see on Dell (CH) website there is no fingerprint reader. Sadly, I cannot even select USA / International keyboard in Switzerland. Also you have to search explicitly for “9370” to find the product as it’s not listed on the catalog (or I couldn’t find).

I would also prefer to have fingerprint reader and international keyboard.

• Unfortunately, at this time the developer edition doesn’t support the fingerprint reader. The current Linux solution is not polished enough for us to feel comfortable supporting.

@davidlt, you should be able to get the US international keyboard on the Dell switzerland site by contacting sales via either phone or chat.

• davidlt says:

You should invest months/a year for upstreaming efforts of various components before the product launch, that would definitely help. E.g. Intel is currently upstreaming new silicons we should see in a year. Google is doing something similar with Chromebooks.

The page was updated I can now select USA/International keyboard.

Thanks!

Liked by 1 person

19. How come there no option with 32 GB ram?

20. Andrew Smith says:

Any chance of this arriving in Australia too? Ideally with the same configurations as EU (and in particular the “i7 | 16GB | 512GB | FHD non-touch (1920 x 1080)” version).

21. Sam says:

How does this new XPS handle battery life? I remember having to setup bumblebee on my XPS’15 because battery life wasn’t as good compared to Windows.

22. Chris Peck says:

How is the trackpad? I bought a Dev Edition XPS13 a couple of years ago and the trackpad was unusable. It was the only issue I had, but, was a deal-breaker.

23. danny_ms says:

Dear Barton,
    can you tell us for how long will the 9360 model be manufactured yet? I am aware of the huge effort you did on the 9370, but honestly the 9360 seems to fit better my needs and I would be very sad to see it discontinued in the mid-term future.

24. maksimiliano says:

What about coil whine?
    I bet it still there.

25. Aaron says:

How will updates be handled? That is, will hardware support be built in to all versions of Ubuntu’s Linux kernel? The reason I ask is that I have an intel computer stick that came preinstalled with Ubuntu, but could not be updated because you then lost hardware support.

26. Hello,

I don’t know how to provide feedback to Project Sputnik and so… I leave it here in the hope it may be useful. I’m sorry, since it’s definitely the wrong place for providing feedback.

As a developer, I look for 2 things in a laptop (or in a computer in general):

1. A lot of memory
    2. A very nice keyboard

Regarding memory:

I’ve always installed the double of memory adopted as the maximum mainstream. And I’ve never regretted of doing that.

I’ve already installed 16Gb of RAM in desktops and laptops officially supporting up to 4Gb or up to 8Gb.

The “problem” with soldered memory is that I cannot install 32Gb in this Del 13″ because 16Gb is soldered. It would be great if Dell considered 32Gb and 64Gb options too. I bet that insane developers playing with Big Data would buy it.

Regarding keyboards:

It’s only me or there are people around looking for mechanical keyboards? Ok, ok… maybe I’m asking too much.

Let me drop this requirement and discuss another requirement: the arrow keys cluster. All keys should be the same dimensions.

I can understand that up-arrow and down-arrow being half size and sharing the space of only one key may be even convenient for regular users. But such configuration is far from convenient for developers, who employ arrow keys not only for browsing the web but also for typing regular text and code.

Regarding my buying options and decisions:

Memory: I may consider a 15″ laptop if I can get 32Gb on it.

Keyboard. I require a keyboard which presents an arrows cluster with keys of same dimensions. It means I cannot consider the vast majority of vendors. The only vendor that comes to my mind at this point (and CES 2018 may change that!) is Lenovo.

27. untouchab1e says:

Hey! Does the Developer edition have the integrated fingerprint reader as well? And does this work under Linux? Im assuming this would mean that your team added support for it to libfprint.

• davidlt says:

Sadly you don’t get fingerprint reader, it’s mentioned on website once you are doing configuration.

• hi @unntouchab1e and @davidlt As you mentioned, the fingerprint reader is not available with the developer edition. The current Linux solution is not polished enough for us to feel comfortable supporting. thx

28. pamanes7 says:

hello, congrats on this wonderful project. I need some advice here, If I want to dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu what is the best path for me? Buy the Ubuntu version or the Windows version and then install the other on top?

thanks

• Wrt dual boot, It tends to be easier if you start with Windows and then add Ubuntu. You’ll want to make sure you have Dell Prosupport and although we don’t support dual boot we will make best efforts to help.

Thanks for the support!

Liked by 1 person

29. Alper Kanat says:

Hi All,

I used to be a big time Linux user with experience with lots of different distros. Then had move on to the Mac due to various reasons. I’m now looking for a laptop which has a gorgeous design like the new XPS 13 and 16 GB of memory. I couldn’t be happier about the new XPS 13 9370’s announcement. However I’m not able to find the Developer Edition on any site not the configuration I want. I’m fine with FHD and not interested in touch display. I just want a good looking, light, 13” laptop with 16gb memory. Looks like it’s currently not available in Turkey but I can’t find it on German, UK and US sites as well. ☹️

• Hi Alper,

What is specific config you’re looking for? Im assuming that one of the following doesnt fit your use case?

US/Canada
      i7 | 16GB |512GB| UHD touch (3840 x 2160) – available with 1TB
      i7 | 8GB |256GB | FHD non-touch (1920 x 1080)
      i5 | 8GB |256GB | UHD touch (3840 x 2160) – available with i7
      i5 | 8GB |128GB | FHD non-touch (1920 x 1080) – available with 256GB
      i5 | 4GB |128GB| FHD non-touch (1920 x 1080)

EMEA
      i7 | 16GB | 1TB | UHD touch (3840 x 2160)
      i7 | 16GB | 512GB | UHD touch (3840 x 2160)
      i7 | 16GB | 512GB | FHD non-touch (1920 x 1080)
      i7 | 8GB | 256GB | FHD non-touch (1920 x 1080)

Thanks for the support!

30. Andrew says:

Any updates on this?

> Beyond the thirteen countries above, there is a much longer list of countries where the 9370 is available offline

Interested to know if they’ll be available in Australia

31. Will Dell ever consider getting Ryzen processors for the XPS as an alt option for those worried about Spectre and/or Meltdown?

• davidlt says:

Just a reminder that AMD (and Intel, ARM, IBM, etc) are affected by Spectre. Meltdown has a proof-of-concept for Intel, but researchers are trying other silicons chips also. Quote from official site: “Currently, we have only verified Meltdown on Intel processors. At the moment, it is unclear whether AMD processors are also affected by Meltdown”.

Situation is still ongoing.

32. Jan V. says:

Hello Barton,

this is great news, thanks for sharing and also you for your effort to make project Sputnik a success.

Please, would you mind commenting on the coil whine issue? People on the forums speculate on that but I haven’t found a single post confirming or denying existence of the problem in the new model. Is coil whine gone with 9370?

Thank you again.