Last month at the Cloud Foundry Summit Europe, not only did I attend various sessions, but I got to deliver one myself. The talk, entitled “EdgeX Foundry – Open Interop Platform for the IoT Edge,” gives a high level overview of the EdgeX Foundry which is an open source effort hosted by the Linux Foundation. The presentation talks about the IoT roadblocks the Foundry addresses and how they plan to tackle them.
Here is a recording of the talk. Directly below the video I have put an EdgeX Foundry cheat sheet and further down I have included my slides.
EdgeX Foundry — The basics
Vision: Create a common interoperability framework that enables an ecosystem of plug-and-play, “EdgeX certified” components.
- A vendor-neutral, open source project hosted by The Linux Foundation — launched in April 2017
- 125,000 lines of code, 50+ members at launch
- The result of customer and industry feedback
- Build and promote EdgeX as unifying the IoT edge via a common open platform.
- Enable plug-and-play components to allow solutions providers to create ecosystem of interoperable components around EdgeX platform architecture.
- Certify components to ensure interoperability and compatibility.
- Provide tools to quickly create EdgeX-based IoT edge solutions that can easily adapt to changing business needs.
- Collaborate with relevant open source projects, standards groups, and industry alliances to ensure consistency and interoperability across the IoT.
Dell goes big on IoT
Coincidentally the same week as the summit Dell announced our new IoT division and how we plan to spend $1 billion over the next three years. My talk doesn’t mention the announcement but I have put a few related articles below.
- EdgeX Foundry.org: About
- IoT Evolution World: From Fuse to Foundry: The New Meritocracy in the Evolution of the IoT Edge
- InfoWorld: EdgeX Foundry Is the Solution the IoT World Desperately Needs
- The Manufacturing connection: EdgeX Foundry Unifies the IoT Marketplace to Accelerate Enterprise IoT Deployments
Dell’s new IoT division
- Fortune (US): Dell launches $1 billion division to mold a world of smarter devices
- ZDNet (US):Dell outlines IoT strategy, plans to spend $1 billion on R&D over three years
- The Register (UK): Dell makes $1bn bet that IoT at the edge can kill cloud computing takeover
- My Blog: Cloud Foundry Summit Europe — Harnessing Kubernetes, Cloud Foundry Container Runtime
Pau for now…