I’ve meant to blog more frequently around Sputnik but it’s been crazy busy marshalling resources within Dell for our little skunk works project.
We have captured a lot attention within the company and are trying to leverage that attention to help beef up our core team. One of the areas outside the company we have gotten a great deal of support from is Canonical, the commercial sponsor behind Ubuntu.
Here are a couple of the areas we’ve been working on with Canonical:
Probably the area we’ve gotten the most amount of inquiries into is the status of the driver being written for the touchpad to allow multi-touch support. Last week Dell and Canonical received two code drops from the vendor and they are looking very good. Its only a matter of time now before we have driver in the XPS enablement PPA. Stay tuned.
Update June 21: the driver for the touchpad is now available!
The Profile tool
The basic idea around the tool is that instead of stuffing the system with every possible tool or app a developer could possibly want, we are keeping the actual “stuff” on the install image pretty basic.
After our conversations we decided to break the effort into two phases:
Phase I – “System Configuration”:
- The first phase will focus on installing bundles of packages with a YAML-driven approach. This will allow developers to get installable components of the toolchains they need
Phase II – “User Configuration”:
- The second phase is focused on automating the configuration of the developer’s toolchain and environment, using a model-driven automation tool like Chef, Puppet etc.
- The idea would be to create an open community where developers can share these profiles, extend them, etc.
- We are still figuring out the feasibility of this phase and gauging interest.
We’d be interested in any comments or thoughts you have around the profile tool, or anything else having to do with Sputnik.
I’m hoping to start providing more updates (keep you fingers crossed)
- Introducing Project Sputnik: Developer laptop
- Redmonk on Developers and Project Sputnik