Last week on Day two of Structure the morning sessions ended with an interesting discussion moderated by James Urquhart. The session was entitled “DevOps – Reinventing the Developers Role in the Cloud Age” and featured Luke Kanies – CEO, Puppet Labs and Jesse Robbins – Co-Founder and CEO, Opscode.
After lunch I ran into Jesse and got him to sit down with me and provide some more insight into DevOps as well as explain what Opscode was doing with project Crowbar.
Some of the ground Jesse covers
- (0:21) What is DevOps
- (1:00) The shift that happens between developers and operations. Writing code and getting it into production faster and how it shifts responsibilities between the two groups.
- (2:52) Who are the prime targets for DevOps and how has this changed over time.
- How DevOps began in web shops who needed to do things differently than legacy-bound enterprises.
- How enterprises faced with greenfield opportunities are now embracing devops
- (5:36) The crowbar installer which employs Opscode’s Chef and allows the rapid provisioning of an OpenStack cloud.