Last Thursday a group of us from Dell attended and participated in the unveiling of Facebook’s Open Compute project.
Much the way open source software shares the code behind the software, the Open Compute project has been created to provide the specifications behind the servers and the data center. By releasing these specs, Facebook is looking to promote the sharing of data center and server technology best practices across the industry.
Extra credit reading
- ABC 7 News (video): Facebook opens up technology behind its servers
- Official Facebook Open Compute press release
- InformationWeek:Facebook Challenges With Green, Open Source Data Center
- GigaOM: Bringing Facebook’s Open Compute Project Down to Earth
- The Register: Facebook’s open hardware: Does it compute?
- Frank Frankovsky of Facebook talks about Open Compute — how they got there and where they go from here
- More photos from the event
Pau for now…
[…] A walk thru Facebook’s HQ on Open Compute day […]