When I was out in the Bay Area for our launch I stopped by data warehouse and analytics player Greenplum. Greenplum is one of the first three members in our Cloud Partner program (the other two are Canonical and Aster Data.) I sat down with Greenplum’s President and founder Scott Yara to talk about the company and where they’re going:
Some to the topics Scott tackles:
- Whats happening in the world of data.
- How Greenplum began with the open source PostgreSQL database platform and over the last 7-8 years have refactored it and built a massively parallel database kernel engine.
- How it works: Greenplum takes the data and physically distributes it across all the Database segments and operates on the data in parallel. This parallel approach allows Greenplum to process data 10-100x faster than conventional databases.
- Who is using it: Skype, Fox Interactive, NTT docomo, Deutsche Bank, retailers, large healthcare companies.
- The enterprise data cloud initiative – Setting a new type of analytics infrastructure that takes advantage of virtualization and the latest in general purpose and multi-core systems and is centered around self-service principles.
- While a lot of folks are excited about writing apps to the iPhone, the platform that Scott and crew gest really excited about writing to are 2 socket Nehalem servers with a bunch of disk drives behind them.
- How someone would go about getting started with Greenplum.
Extra Credit reading:
- Fortune: A fun interview with Scott McNealy who is a Greenplum advisor and was the keynote speaker at their recent launch.
Pau for now…