Yesterday at ContainerCon here in Seattle I ran into Mark Shuttleworth, founder of Canonical and the man behind Ubuntu. I asked Mark about some of the efforts Canonical has been focusing on recently and this is what he had to say:
This is what Mark had to say:
Some of the ground Mark covers:
- Ubuntu on the mainframe
- LXC (client) and LXD (on servers) which creates, migrates and kills containers
- The recent Microsoft announcement that REST APIs from LXD will be implemented on windows
- Canonical’s IoT work which leverages their efforts in the mobile area.
- How Ubuntu Snappy works, why they built it and where are all the places its being used including drones
- Their OpenStack work including connecting LXD w/openstack and using containers instead of VMs. Also how to make much larger openstack clouds and build the ecosystem.
- Props for the 4th Generation of Project Sputnik, the XPS 13 developer edition laptop
Pau for now…