Last week at Cloud Connect I was able to grab a few minutes with my old boss from Sun, Ian Murdock. Ian, the founder of the Debian Linux distribution, came to Sun to lead the Open Solaris charge and after that tackled Developer relations. Turns out that with the latest Sun re-org Ian has now landed in the Cloud Computing group as the VP of Strategy.
To watch in High Quality: after clicking play, click the “HQ” button that will appear on the bottom.
Some of the topics Ian Tackles:
- How cloud computing today reminds him of the Open Source world back in 1993 when he first got involved with Linux and Free Software.
- What might be the equivalent of the Linux distro in the cloud space.
- The importance of standards and how Sun might play there.
- Here is the blog Ian did the day after I interviewed him: What will be the cloud equivalent of the Linux distro?
- Unfortunately I missed Lew Tucker’s talk at Cloud Connect but here are a couple of articles that resulted:
Update — Articles based on this post:
- Sun’s OpenSolaris chief leads cloud-strategy hunt – The Register
- Debian Founder Murdock Now Sun’s Cloud Strategist – Linux Magazine
- Debian-Gründer Murdock ist Suns neuer Cloud-Stratege – Linux Magazine Germany
- Ian Murdock, estratega jefe de Could Computing para SUN – Historias de Queso
Pau for now…