Today, on the 59th anniversary of the launch of the Sputnik satellite, the 6th generation XPS 13 developer edition makes its debut in both the US, Canada and Europe. This Kaby Lake-based system comes with Ubuntu 16.04LTS preloaded and features the InfinityEdge display.
As you may remember, these systems began life four years ago as Project Sputnik, an open-ended exploratory project. From the very begining, the effort was designed to solicit and incorporate input from the developer community as to what they wanted in a laptop.
With the community’s input, Project Sputnik became an official product and continues to evolve. Recently, as the ultimate honor, Linus Torvalds selected the XPS 13 developer edition as his mobile laptop.
Additionally, as a happy by product of the program, an initial investment of $40,000 from an internal innovation fund has turned into in tens of millions of dollars in revenue, helping to keep the effort humming along 🙂
Thanks everyone for all your support!!
Specifications — Next gen XPS 13 developer edition
Here is what the 6th generation developer edition (9360) features:
- 7th generation Intel® Core™Processors
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS preloaded. Augmented with the necessary hardware drivers (drivers are upstreamed to allow a variety of distros to work)
- Killer Wireless cards*
- InfinityEdge™ display, FHD (1920×1080) and QHD+ (3200×1800) versions available
*Killer cards are a branding of Qualcomm Atheros. Their Linux drivers are open source and the firmware is now upstream.
As was the case last time, the US is offering four configs. This time around we are offering the following (including one in Rose Gold):
- i5/8GB/128GB, FHD – $949.99
- i5/8GB/256GB, FHD – $1,349.99
- i7/8GB/256GB, QHD+ (touch) – Rose Gold – $1,599.99
- i7/16GB/512GB, QHD+ (touch) – $1,799.99
You’ll find the XPS 13 developer edition collocated with Windows version on the following page. The easiest way to see the Ubuntu line up is to select “Ubuntu” in the “Operating System” pull-down menu on the far left.
The following configurations are available both online and offline in Europe. All of three of the XPS 13 developer edition configurations come with the Killer Wireless card and international keyboards can be selected.
- i5/8GB/256GB, FHD
- i7/8GB/256GB, QHD+ (touch)
- i7/16GB/512GB, QHD+ (touch)
Where to order your system
As is the case in the United States, both versions of the XPS 13, Ubuntu and Windows, are featured on the same product page. Click on the country name below and it will take you to the XPS 13 landing page. Once on the page, you can get to the Ubuntu-based configs by scrolling right to the last three systems.
- United Kingdom
- Switzerland (German)
- Switzerland (French)
- The Netherlands
- Belgium (Dutch)
- Belgium (French)
There is a second group of nations where the developer edition is available by contacting your local Dell representative.
Extra credit reading
- Linus Torvalds picks Dell XPS 13 as his next laptop – CIO
- 2016/03/31 https://barton808.wordpress.com/2016/03/31/live-in-europe-next-gen-xps-13-developer-edition/
- 2016/03/10 http://bartongeorge.net/2016/03/10/xps-13-developer-edition-launches-in-us-ubuntu-based-workstations-available-worldwide/
- 2015/04/09 http://bartongeorge.net/2015/04/09/4th-gen-dell-xps-13-developer-edition-available/
- 2015/01/27 http://bartongeorge.net/2015/01/27/welcome-the-dell-precision-m3800-mobile-workstation-developer-edition/
- 2013/12/20 https://bartongeorge.io/2013/12/20/sputnik-3-online-in-europe-just-in-time-for-holidays/
- 2013/11/15 https://bartongeorge.io/2013/11/15/introducing-sputnik-3-and-its-unofficial-big-brother/
- 2013/02/18 http://bartongeorge.net/2013/02/18/spuntik-2-is-here-xps-13-developer-edition-goes-1080p-and-launches-in-emea/
- 2012/11/29 http://bartongeorge.net/2012/11/29/sputnik-has-landed-introducing-the-dell-xps-13-laptop-developer-edition/
- 2012/07/18 http://bartongeorge.net/2012/07/18/project-sputnik-to-go-from-pilot-to-product/
- 2012/05/07 http://bartongeorge.net/2012/05/07/introducing-project-sputnik-developer-laptop/